As part of a beta update, the Steam Controller will now be able to create multiple control sets that can be switched automatically, along with a variety of added new features (via. Kotaku). Valve has also addressed an issue some games had with applying correct configurations; the controller’s Horizontal Invert setting now works when using a mouse joystick.
The update also offers changes specific to SteamVR, such as improved scrolling when using the touchpads with the HMD, as well as an added SteamVR tool in the Library view. The full notes on the patch can be found below. For more on how to opt into the Steam Client Beta program, you can check out this FAQ page.
- Emoticons show up now in Big Picture
- Added user definable action sets for legacy games.
- Users can now add additional action sets with their own sets of bindings. Action sets can be added/deleted/named as appropriate and selected via a binding. Note that unlike mode-shifts, action sets completely replace all currently active bindings, and can have their own mode shifts and so forth.
- Added New Controller Action binding types which will expand in the future with bindings that are not specific to the game, but rather higher level, as noted below.
- Added Change Action Set Binding – sets the action set to the next or a specified action set when used.
- Added Show Keyboard Binding – shows the on-screen keyboard
- Added Take Screenshot Binding – takes a screenshot
- Removed hard coded desktop keyboard shortcut (stick click) and replaced it with controller action binding in the default desktop configuration.
- Fixed some cases of non-steam games not applying controller settings. Ensure that “Allow Launchers” option is off for this to take effect.
- Fixed controllers not turning off on Suspend power mode in Desktop mode which could cause zombie controllers to be seen over wireless
- Fixed Horizontal Invert setting not working on Mouse Joystick
- Automatically launch SteamVR after it finishes updating
- Added the SteamVR tool in the SteamVR section in the Library view
- Added SteamVR to the jump list options
- Improved scrolling when using the touchpads in the Steam interface while in your HMD
Fixes for URL entry in big picture