Furious 7 has smashed box office records on its opening weekend.
The latest entry in the long-running franchise took $143.6m domestically, with a worldwide total of $388.7 million. That makes it the fourth highest opening weekend in history, behind The Avengers and Harry Potter films The Deathly Hallows – Part 2 and The Half-Blood Prince.
Furious 7 stars Vin Diesel, Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, Jason Statham and the final appearance of Paul Walker.
The updated top 10 list of the highest opening weekends reads;
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 $483.1m
2. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince $394m
3. Marvel’s The Avengers $392.5m
4. Furious 7 $388.7m
5. Transformers: Dark of the Moon $382.4m
6. Spider-Man 3 $381.6m
7. Iron Man 3 $372.5m
8. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides $350.6m
9. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End $343.9m
10. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 $340.6m