Grand Theft Auto V has broken six new Guinness World Records.
The videogame, which was released on September 17, has already grossed over $1 billion. It took over $815million in it’s first 24 hours on sale, making it the best-selling, as well as highest-grossing, videogame in that time period. It also takes the record for highest revenue generated by an entertainment product.
The list of Guinness World Records for GTA 5 are:
1. Best-selling action-adventure videogame in 24 hours
2. Best-selling videogame in 24 hours
3. Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
4. Fastest videogame to gross $1 billion
5. Highest grossing videogame in 24 hours
6. Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
7. Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure videogame
Guinness World Records’ editor-in-chief Craig Glenday has commented on the broken records:
“GTA totally deserves to be recognised as an icon of modern British culture, and we’re thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books. Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it’s taken on the might of Hollywood and won!”
It was also recently confirmed that GTA 5 has smashed Grand Theft Auto 4’s lifetime sales.