Following the announcement that Ben Affleck is to take on the role of Batman in 2015’s Man of Steel sequel, more information has come to light of just how long this has been in the works, and what exactly it all entails.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the process actually started earlier this year following the completion of Man of Steel. The film’s director Zack Snyder and Warner Bros. already had plans for a sequel, and quickly reached out to several actors to gauge interest in taking up the cowl and cape previously worn by Christian Bale.
The rumoured names such as Josh Brolin and Ryan Gosling were allegedly approached, with both turning down the part. Affleck, another approached actor, was interested and talks began. It is being said that those discussions were so secretive that most Warner executives, as well as many employees at Affleck’s agents were not aware talks even existed. Those talks – and eventual agreement – are also said to include appearances in further sequels, should they materialise.
The report also claims that Christopher Nolan originally offered Affleck the job as director of Man of Steel, but the actor declined the offer, apparently not wishing at the time to return to comic book movies, following the criticism of 2003’s Daredevil. Obviously that view has been amended when it comes to acting in comic book movie, and it is believed that when it comes to his performance as Batman in the MoS sequel, as it is essentially a Superman film, any criticism of the movie’s box office performance will not fall on his shoulders.
Furthermore, it is being speculated that the deal also offers Affleck the opportunity to star in – and possibly direct – Warner’s much-rumoured Justice League film.
The Man of Steel sequel will arrive on July 17 2015.