Today the Polish video game publisher and developer CD Project RED have announced the launch of their ultimate crafting kit REDkit. Available to download for free, the REDkit is based on the development tools used to create CD Projekt RED’s award-winning game, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings and allows you to craft your own role-playing adventures.
While you’re waiting for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to see the light of day later this year (which will be awesome!), you can use the REDkit to go back into the shoes of Geralt in Witcher 2 and create brand new amazing content. Alliteratively you can use the tool set to go about downloading another gamer’s mod and make some artistic changes.
In a press release sent out by CD Projekt, Adam Badowski spoke about REDkit:
“For CD Projekt RED, RPGs are all about telling amazing stories, we want to give players the power to tell the same kind of non-linear, branching stories that made The Witcher games so popular. Our fans have helped us for years to make our games the best they can be, and REDkit is part of embracing our community as a partner in game development.“
We’ve also been given a list of features available when using REDkit: Intuitive tools developed for all would-be storytellers and game designers.
- Complex and user-friendly terrain tools, including the SpeedTree foliage system.
- Utilize the astonishing graphics and visuals that power The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.
- Create a realistic and dynamic day and night cycle in a few clicks.
- Implement non-linear stories and quests with a unique quest system that allows player decisions to impact the game world and plot.
- Build believable characters, NPCs, and entire communities and set their interactions with the player.
- Place dialogue cameras automatically or manually to create a filmlike experience.
By heading over to the official site to The Witcher, you can download the REDkit, access tutorials to get you started and check out community submissions including the winning mod of the month.